Saturday, September 15, 2012

Working For the Mouse

So as of yesterday I have successfully completed my training at the Emporium on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom. It has been such a whirlwind of information and learning. The store itself is GIGANTIC so I am still trying to figure out where everything is. And I'm sure as soon as I have some idea, they will move stuff around and I will be back where I started.

My costume is top notch.
This does not even include the silly little tie, my pantyhose, or my grandma shoes. There will be pictures of me in it to follow. I think I may have won the ugly costume contest. However, I did meet a girl the other day that works in the Animal Kingdom that told me she was jealous of my costume, which as you can see by the full length plaid skirt and ruffly shirt that buttons all the way up and chokes you a little, this girl was blatantly lying.

I don't really mind wearing it all that much though. Every one else is wearing the same thing and its a lot of fun to be part of the show. I was never much of a performer (except for my foray into Beginning Acting at W&M and my days at Slayton House drama camp... I played Harriet Potter in Harriet Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.) Working here though I find it easy and a lot of fun to be a part of the giant show that is Walt Disney World. This particular show involves me having a lot of conversations (especially with kids,) which for me beats performing on big stage or being the center of attention any day. Interacting with the guests is by far my favorite part of my role.

In the past week I have had a lot of training but, being in Walt Disney World, I had to have a little of my own fun as well! I spent a magical day in the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios with some of my roommates. And by magical I mean there were no lines at all. For anything. Except Peter Pan, but we got a fastpass for that. Morgan and I also spent an evening in Epcot. We ate in Italy. I ate a very delicious (very expensive) pizza. Then we watched the show, IllumiNations, which involves a lot of fireworks and a giant tv screen globe that opens up and there's fire in the middle.

This place outdoes everyone else in all aspects of their parks. Every little thing is thought out. Like did you know in all Disney parks, the castle is due north of the park entrance so the sun is never in front of or behind the castle during pictures. Who thinks of that? The only thing I've seen them be outdone in is their colonial themed areas, but Williamsburg may have biased me slightly. Everyone thinks I'm a weirdo when I can point out consistencies and discrepancies in the mock colonial architecture... Thank you Williamsburg.

Alright, well I'm off to another magical day off in the parks. I love and miss everyone at home and at school.

Have a magical day!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment