Saturday, September 29, 2012

Family and Food (and Wine)

So yesterday was literally the most glorious day in Disney, as my Dad and little brother, Danny, were down here visiting for the day on their way to Jacksonville for the Redskins game tomorrow. Not to mention the fact that it was the first day of the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival. We did everything you could hope to do in Disney World in one long, exhausting, magical day. It was really nice to have some familiar faces around, as I am constantly in the process of trying to make new friends down here. We started off in the Magic Kingdom bright and early and were waiting outside when the park opened. Because of my crazy work hours I have recently been sleeping from about 4am-Noon everyday, so this was a difficult, yet needed adjustment to my sleep schedule. As all good tourists do we begun the day with a picture in front of the castle. I happened to ask the only cast member that has no idea how to use a camera, let alone an iPhone to take the picture for us. To be fair, he was pretty old, but still. After several tries we got this:
Good enough. Then with my mad camera skills I took this one:
Lines were short, so we rode everything multiple times. Dad ate a turkey leg. Danny and I had churros and Dole whip pineapple floats. Very nutritious, I know, but everyone was happy. Then off to Hollywood Studios. We rode the Tower of Terror twice and then the Rockin' Roller Coaster 3 times in a row. Literally my dream. I sat out while they did Star Tours because simulator rides make me incredibly nauseous. While they rode, the usual Orlando 4 o'clock downpour began, so we bought Mickey ponchos and hung out in the Star Wars store:
The rain calmed down and we headed to Epcot. Since it was the opening of the Food and Wine Festival, the park was a mad house, but well worth it. During this event, Epcot sets up food and drink kiosks from all around the world, made up of countries that are and are not included in the World Showcase. Naturally, we blew off our dinner reservations and ate everything in site while spending way too much money. To give you an idea, here is a list of everything I consumed and the kiosk it came from:

Craft Beers
 -Abita Purple Haze
Australia
 -Shrimp on the barbie with pepper berry citrus glaze
Mexico
 -Lime-strawberry margarita
Cheese (yes, there was a cheese kiosk)
 -Swiss cheese fondue with sourdough bread
Hops and Barley (America?)
 -Maine lobster roll
 -Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock
Florida Local
 -Floida Orange Groves, Key Limen (Key lime wine... nom)
Japan
 -Spicy hand roll
Morocco
 -Baklava
 -Sangria
Canada
 -Canadian cheddar cheese soup

This festival goes until November 12. It will literally be the end of me. I'm going to eat so much and spend so much money. (Come visit me... All the noms are here.)

Today I went out to lunch with Dad and Dan in Downtown Disney before they went on their way to Jacksonville. I could not have asked for a better way to spend my time off. And now I am back to the the Emporium this evening from 6-12:30. At least its not too late of a shift and I'm not closing. At this point any time I have a shift ending before 1 am, I get excited that I'm getting off early. That's the cast member life I guess. I don't really have anything to complain about. I'm having a great time, and although I miss everyone at home and at school, I am so incredibly lucky to have this opportunity. On that note here is my shameless plug. Apply for this program. Its a really easy application process, you'll learn a lot, and have the adventure of a lifetime! Here's the link to apply:
http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Have a magical day!
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment